• Home
  • About
  • Objectives
  • Membership
  • Donations
  • Activities
  • Research Reports
  • Submissions
  • Newsletters
  • Contact

SPCS

SOCIETY FOR PROMOTION OF COMMUNITY STANDARDS INC.

  • Censorship
    • Censorship & New Technology
    • Film Ratings
    • Films
  • Crime
    • Rape statistics
    • Television Violence
    • Violence
    • Youth Crime
  • Enforcement
  • Family
    • Anti-smacking Bill
    • Families Commission
    • Marriage
  • Gambling Addiction
  • Political Advocacy
  • Pro-life
    • Abortion
  • Prostitution
  • Sexuality
    • Child Sex Crimes
    • Civil Unions
    • HIV/AIDS STIs
    • Homosexuality
    • Kinsey Fraud
    • Porn Link to Rape
    • Pornography
    • Sex Studies
    • Sexual Dysfunction
  • Other
    • Alcohol abuse
    • Announcement
    • Application For Leave
    • Broadcasting Standards Authority
    • Celebrating Christian Tradition
    • Children’s Television
    • Complaints to Broadcasters
    • Computer games
    • Film & Lit Board Reviews
    • Film & Lit. Board Appointments
    • Human Dignity
    • Moral Values
    • Newsletters
    • Newspaper Articles
    • Recommended Books
    • Submissions
    • YouTube

Web giants unite to stop child abuse – NZ Herald

July 6, 2013 by SPCS Leave a Comment

The world’s largest and most popular internet sites are in secret discussions to create a system that could wipe child abuse images from the web.

Facebook, Microsoft, Google, Twitter and at least three other companies have signed up to, or are talking about, the project which would lead to the creation of a single database.

The project is an unprecedented industry-wide effort to deal with paedophiles sharing abuse images on the web. Industry sources told theTimes newspaper in London that some of the companies had signed secrecy agreements and there had been tense negotiations for about nine months.

It’s believed silence was required to ensure the “rival companies could have frank discussions about the topic”, the newspaper said.

The database of the “worst of the worst” images will be maintained by Thorn: Digital Defenders of Children.

Executive director of Thorn, Julie Cordua, told the Times that they wanted to clean “this horrific content off platforms” and to identify the victims.

The Los Angeles-based charity was founded by the formerly married actors Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore.

The companies involved have adopted Microsoft’s PhotoDNA software that creates a “hash” or digital signature on abuse images.

Source

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/pornography/news/article.cfm?c_id=283&objectid=10895082

Saturday Jul 6, 2013

Share this:

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Print

Filed Under: Censorship & New Technology, Child Sex Crimes, Crime Tagged With: child abuse

Reality Check Needed on Shameful Child Abuse says Family First NZ

December 11, 2011 by SPCS Leave a Comment

MEDIA RELEASE

In a media release issued  on 10 December 2011, Family First NZ, a registered charity with the Charities Commission, states:

Family First  is rejecting claims by the Children’s Commissioner and others that rising child abuse statistics are ‘good news’ and ‘delightful’, and is repeating its call for a Royal Commission of Inquiry into child abuse as a result of continuing ‘tragic’ figures. 

“It is time we stopped ‘marketing’ child abuse statistics and trying to give them a positive spin, under the illusion that we are succeeding. We need a reality check,” says Bob McCoskrie, National Director of Family First NZ.

 “The rates of child abuse have been rocketing up for the last decade – even before the flawed anti-smacking law was passed and the Family Violence awareness campaign began. Between 2003 and 2007 alone, notifications more than doubled from 31,000 to 72,000. The latest statistics give no confidence that children are any safer.”

 “To label our atrocious statistics as ‘good news’ and ‘delightful’ is an insult to the victims. Government groups cannot attribute the increase to greater awareness and better practice. The rates have been increasing markedly well before the public awareness campaigns, and the increase in admissions to Starship Hospital alone are proof that the problem is deterioriating.” [Read more…]

Share this:

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Print

Filed Under: Anti-smacking Bill, Violence Tagged With: Charities Commission, child abuse, Children's Commissioner, Family Fiest NZ, registered charity

Government Must Release Child Abuse Report now – says Family First NZ

November 4, 2011 by SPCS Leave a Comment

In a media release issued today, Family First NZ, a registered charity with the Charities Commission, has demanded that Government release a Report on Child Abuse. [Read more…]

Share this:

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Print

Filed Under: Crime, Violence Tagged With: child abuse

Lawmakers urged to appeal ‘pathetic sentence’ imposed by Judge MacKenzie

March 26, 2011 by SPCS Leave a Comment

Lawmakers have been urged to appeal the “pathetic” sentence handed down by Judge Alan MacKenzie on Friday in the Palmerston North High Court to a man who killed his former partner’s toddler because she wouldn’t listen to him. She suffered horrific injuries after Sean James Donnelly, 23, a former security guard, swung her around by her ankles as punishment, before letting the wee girl go after he became dizzy.

He initially denied any wrong-doing, claiming Cash had suffered the injuries after his own four-year-old daughter had hit her with a doll. As the Judge noted, Donnelly chose not to treat the toddler’s sickening injuries until a friend arrived at his house about 90 minutes after the incident.

Donnelly was handed a seven-year jail sentence on Friday after earlier pleading guilty to three-year-old Cash McKinnon’s manslaughter. But as judge Alan MacKenzie did not impose a statutory non-parole period, Donnelly could be released back into the community in as little as 18 months. In summing up the judge noted that Donnelly did not intend to kill the girl and had yet to face up to the totality of what he had done.

Sensible Sentencing Trust boss Garth McVicar last night hit out at the sentence imposed, saying it was abhorrent and needed to be reviewed. He said the sentence failed to send a strong message to the community that horrendous offences of child abuse would not be tolerated.

“What is the message in this pathetic sentence that children don’t matter, that we as a society accept and tolerate this sort of behaviour? With a stroke of the pen our judiciary has single-handedly underwritten and endorsed New Zealand’s horrendous child abuse statistics. The high level of child abuse in New Zealand is already eyed with disdain by the rest of the world. We are a pathetic little country that does not treasure its children and simply allows them to be treated as cannon fodder,” McVicar said.

Full story by Neil Reid – Stuff News: 26 March 2011 http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/4813808/Lawmakers-urged-to-appeal-pathetic-sentence

Share this:

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Print

Filed Under: Crime, Violence Tagged With: child abuse, Garth McVicar, Judge Alan MacKenzie, non-parole period, Sensible Sentencing Trust, statutory non-parole period

‘Crass’ News Item on Child Abuse Draws Formal Complaint [from Family First NZ]

December 28, 2010 by SPCS Leave a Comment

MEDIA RELEASE: 28 December 2010 Source www.familyfirst.org.nz

Family First NZ has laid an official complaint with the Broadcasting Standards Authority over a disgraceful TV3 Nightline news story (ref. 1) broadcast on the day before Christmas Eve which trivialised and made light of child sex abuse. [Family First NZ is a registered charity with the NZ Charities Commission and its objectives are supported by SPCS].

“It was broadcast only 24 hours after it had been revealed (ref. 2) that the horrendous case of child abuse of a West Auckland 9 year old that had shocked the nation also involved sexual abuse by a CYF caregiver. It was also introduced by the presenter with the pun ‘a touching Christmas story’,” says Bob McCoskrie, National Director of Family First NZ.

“It was crass, completely inappropriate, and offensive to many people who would have been shocked, revolted and upset by the revelations of severe and long-term abuse of a nine year old which was in the news.” [Read more…]

Share this:

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Print

Filed Under: Announcement, Broadcasting Standards Authority, Family Tagged With: Bob McCoskrie, child abuse, Family First, Family First NZ, TV3 Nightline, TVNZ

Next Page »
SPCS Facebook Page

Subscribe to website updates:

The Pilgrim’s Progress

Getting "The Pilgrim’s Progress" to
every prisoner in NZ prisons.

Recent Comments

  • John on The term ‘Homophobia’: Its Origins and Meanings, and its uses in Homosexual Agenda
  • SPCS on Corporate corruption in New Zealand – “Banning badly behaving company directors”
  • Anne on Corporate corruption in New Zealand – “Banning badly behaving company directors”
  • Jake on John Clancy: Troubled Global group costs Christchurch City Council another $37,000
  • Jake on John Clancy: Troubled Global group costs Christchurch City Council another $37,000

Family Values & Community Standards

  • Coalition for Marriage
  • ECPAT New Zealand
  • Family Voice Australia
  • Parents Inc.

Internet Safety

  • Netsafe Internet Safety Group

Pro-Life Groups

  • Family Life International
  • Right to Life
  • The Nathaniel Centre
  • Voice for Life
(Click here for larger image)

Copyright © 2025 · News Pro Theme on Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in

loading Cancel
Post was not sent - check your email addresses!
Email check failed, please try again
Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email.